Monday, October 12, 2009

The weekend has come and gone...

Wow! What a fun, crazy weekend we had!

Saturday we started tearing up the apartment. Literally. It was completely unrecognizable within an hour or so of getting started on the work. We ripped out the old carpet and got that thrown away, all the light switch covers were unscrewed and removed, along with all the doors and hinges. The vents were taken off and laid in the living room, the washer and dryer were unhooked, and the range and refridgerator were removed as well. Everything is currently sitting in the living room area. We have an ad up on KSL giving away the range, so if anybody wants it, speak now! It's pretty old (seriously probably original to the apartment), and REALLY grungy, but we think it works! It just needs some TLC...and a good flame torching.

Riley told me the only part about this remodeling process he was dreading was ripping out the old linoleum. We found out there were TWO layers of it in the kitchen, which was going to be a huge pain to get off. However, Carter was more than happy to take the job. His ego was patted quite a bit when Riley let him use a few power tools, so he was up for anything. We gave him a crowbar and let him go to town with the linoleum. He got it all removed and disposed of incredibly quick! Everyone was really impressed! We were grateful for his willingness to help.

I had to leave the remodeling project for my bridal shower, and showed up with I'm sure what was lots of dust in my hair. But it wasn't terrible, and the bridal shower was so much fun! My Aunt Julie volunteered to throw it for me, and it turned out great. We had a great turnout, the food was great and the atmosphere was a blast. Thanks to everyone for coming and showing your support, and a special thanks to Julie for throwing it! We had so much fun! (Stay tuned for pictures from this as well, I left my brand new camera with Riley at the remodeling project while I was at the shower...what was I thinking? So I'm waiting for copies of the pictures from my aunt and grandma) I also got a picture with one of my favorite cousins, Alex!!! Well...a cardboard cutout of him at least. He's currently serving a mission in Seoul, but my aunt and uncle have a life size cutout of his face pasted over George Bush's body sitting on their staircase. So it was good to "see" him!!
(PS-I stole these pictures from Julie's blog, but they were just so fun, I couldn't resist. I hope that doesn't offend anyone!!)


Later that night, Riley's entire family came to see the progress we had made on the condo. Brother, sisters, nieces and nephews, EVERYONE. After a few knocks on the wall from the neighbors, the kids finally got over the echoes their voices made in the empty space. The sooner we get carpet in, the better! Talk about loud!! We also painted a small section of each room with the paint we chose, in order to give us a better idea about whether we loved it or not. The master bedroom is going to be a really pretty light blue color, the second bedroom a sage green, and the kitchen will be a fun yellow tone. Undecided on the living room, but we'll probably go with something really neutral. We also carved our initials in the ceiling! Sshh, don't tell! No one will probably be able to find them anyways. It's kind've an old tradition with me and paintings ceilings...ask my grandma who may or may not have my initials carved somewhere above her living room...

Sunday was nice to have a day to relax. We went to Riley's home ward, and he got a little emotional seeing as it was his last Fast Sunday being a member there. When you're in the same ward your entire life, you get a little attached to the people in it! We skipped out a bit early to meet with my Stake President, and had a good talk with him. He's a nice guy, and gave us some great advice!

To finish off the evening, we watched another one of our favorite shows!! The Amazing Race!!! We watch it every Sunday with his family! Lesson learned from this week's episode? Don't misplace your passport!!! Riley knows a little about that...something about his ID getting stuck in his check in bag and him sleeping at the JFK airport alone? What?

No comments:

Post a Comment