Thursday, February 11, 2010

Relief Society-Crock Pot Social Night


On Tuesday evening I went up to my home ward for Relief Society. I haven't been great about putting myself out there and getting to know anyone from my own ward, so I've been going with my mom the last little bit. This last event was a night specifically designed around food storage awareness. A couple of the lady's talked about the importance of dry-packing, what containers are acceptable, expiration dates, meal planning, etc etc. My mom was assigned to give a presentation on crock pots and recipes. Along with this assignment, she was asked to make a few taste samples of recipes she likes. She made a crock pot full of the yummy Grape Jelly Meatballs and another one of Cashew Chicken. The chicken was a hit! Everyone loved it. I may have been responsible for being a bit too generous with portions, so there was nothing left to take home, but that's alright.

She suggested that people take a look at 365daysofcrockpot.blogspot.com

This site is done by a lady who is doing a challenge similar to the movie Julie and Julia. She's trying out a different slow cooker recipe every day of the week for an entire year, and then she'll give them honest ratings. We've only made recipes that she rated at least a 4, but mostly just the 5's. The cashew chicken is on there, and it sure is tasty. That blog comes highly recommended by us!

I did my own little cooking experiment yesterday. I made lime chicken, mashed potatoes, home made rolls, and EVEN key lime pie cheesecake (A Cheesecake Factory recipe, by the way!). We invited Jared and Sammie over for dinner...which may have been a mistake. I prepared the chicken in our crock pot., and the recipe said "Cook for 4-6 hours on high, or for 6-8 hours on low". I started the chicken at 4:30 (On the LOW setting, mind you), and left for class at 6. Got back at 8:30, and the chicken was BLACK. BURNED. DEAD.

FAIL. FAIL. FAIL.

Really, crock pot?! I rant and rave about the good things you do for other people, and THIS HAPPENS?! Jared and Sammie were nice about my pathetic cooking attempt. Everyone sorta picked around the bad spots...I felt horrible!!! I tell them not to eat dinner because I'm preparing something fabulous, and then this??!

Anyways the cheesecake turned out really good. Which was really the most important part, right? If this keeps happening my domestic self will start fading away...and Riley may have to live off of cereal.

Which I'm sure he's fine with... :S

No comments:

Post a Comment