Thursday, March 18, 2010

New Job!!

So, I'm pleased to announce that I finally landed another job! The funniest thing? It's at America First. Same company Riley started working for last week. If you read my earlier post about this, you'll know that we inadvertently interviewed for the same position within the same branch. They ended up choosing HIM for the job. Which was GREAT! I mean one of us needed it, right? Why not double our chances? Anyways, so he started training with them last week and has really enjoyed it so far. Even though like I said before, he's not really a "shirt and tie" kinda guy. But hey, he wore them non-stop for two years on a mission, so he can suck it up.

My interview was yesterday and it went really smoothly, as far as interviews are concerned. I always get kinda nervous. I feel like I've gotta wear the right thing, too, because they'll be judging that along with everything else! I wasn't looking forward to the cliches of interviewing either.

Here's some examples of questions I'm usually asked. On the bottom is what was running through my head...But I promise I didn't actually say any of this! (no matter how much I wanted to)

Interviewer- "So. Why should I consider you for this position?"
Me: (Because I applied. And I'm here. And I'd like this job. I need this job.)

And this one has been asked quite a bit, as of late.

Interviewer- "There are lots of people looking for jobs right now. In fact, we've interviewed over 30 (or some other outrageous number) other applicants. Why should I give you a second job over someone that doesn't have a job at all?"
Me:(Maybe there's a reason they don't have a job at all... Maybe they're an ex-con? How should I know? But more importantly, I'm a struggling, married, college student, with zero spending money, duh!)

Interviewer- "Give me the bottom line. Why should I choose you over another candidate?"
Me: (*Ahem* Have you SEEN, me?! I mean seriously...) ((can you tell I struggle with self-esteem issue? HA!))

This interview went really well though. And I obviously made a good impression, because they offered me the position! Yay!!!! The best part about this, is after 90 days I'll be eligible for benefits, even though I'll only be working there 30 hours a week. Now I won't have to be nervous anytime I drive my car for fear I'll get in an accident or something...not having insurance has been really risky for us.

Hopefully with my second job we'll be able to send Riley back to school in the fall and he can quit FedEx. I think he enjoys it (Heaven knows why! I'd probably last about ten minutes and then drop dead. Or accidentally send myself up a conveyor belt, whichever happened first), but he's also exhausted at the end of the day. He deserves to be able to come home and relax once in awhile!

I promise I'll get around to an entertaining post some day. But in the meantime, I just wanted to let everyone know about my recent success. I'm going to celebrate and make a chocolate cake! (I mean, a health conscious granola bar..err...something)

No comments:

Post a Comment