Monday, December 7, 2009

Countdown to Christmas


Friday night Riley put in his usual time at FedEx. That was going to mean I would be spending the evening alone until he got off work, but turns out my luck changed! Riley's mom called and asked if I would like to come to their ward Christmas party with the rest of his family, and I happily accepted the offer. It was a great alternative to sitting home, watching more countless episode's of The Office, and counting down the minutes until he got off work. I went and enjoyed lots of yummy food, listened to the choir sing Christmas music, and spent the time with his entire family MINUS Riley. I thought it may be strange for me to be there minus my significant other, but it turned out to be a really fun night. I got sent home with tons of leftovers, so Riley didn't have to go hungry that night (and it's kept us sustained for 4 of 5 meals since then, too!).

After the party, Jared and Sammie came over and we attempted to make gingerbread houses. We made a trip to Wal-Mart to purchase the needed supplies, and came home with lots of frosting, candy, and graham crackers. Unfortunately, my house was a huge disappointment...the roof kept caving in, and refused to stand by itself. Everyone else's turned out really well though! Riley's was complete with a roof, and a chimney. Jared's was multi-storied, and managed to stay up the entire night! What the heck? Seriously? And Sammie's...well...hers started out like mine, all crumbly and pathetic, but she had much more patience than I, and ended up forming it into a church-like structure complete with lots of candy for decor. Next year though, mine will be the freaking Taj Mahal. You heard it here first.

Saturday, we went and found our very first Christmas tree! We went with Riley's parents to J & L in Bountiful, and found the perfect REAL tree! I think I'm ready to take on the task of tackling the endless numbers of dropped needles. It was a sacrifice I'm willing to make for the amazing smell of a real pine tree that is already filling our little house. We had a fun time searching out the best trees, and also meandering through the store finding little goodies here and there. Quote of the afternoon: "We're all adults here. We can talk about flocking." This was said by Riley's mother, in reference to the fact that she's a tad bitter about not being allowed to get a flocked tree. It wasn't her year to choose, evidently!

That night, we went to Kohl's to find a cute skirt to put under the tree. We found a darling plaid one, and it looks great with the rest of the decorations. After that, we went to Target with Jordan and Alyssa to pick out some ornaments. We found some fun ones, purchased them, and came back to the house to play games. We ended up playing "Would You Rather" for like 3 hours straight! Riley and I definitely don't agree on many things, and that became evident through our constant bickering and debating. It was a fun evening nonetheless, spent with our friends that will be married in less than a month! How exciting?!

Sunday we went to my parent's house for dinner, and played a Cabela's hunting game on the Wii with Carter. He had bought it a few days ago, and was eager to show it off. Riley played for about 20 minutes, and shot one animal I think. I, however, spent about a half hour with the game, and shot like 20+ plus animals. I'd never hunt in real life, but it was kinda funny to be better at something electronic than Riley. That'll teach him!

After that, we went to Riley's house to watch the LAST EPISODE of the Amazing Race!! Our favorite team won! Go Megan and Cheyne!!! We were SSOOOOO happy that the gay bro's and Team Zebra didn't win. Megan pulled Cheyne through the hard tasks! What a tough chick! Evidence of the fact that Shrena and I will totally cream Austin and Riley when we get on the show. An all girl team has never won before, but that's just because they haven't seen US yet. After a heated debate over that subject, we finished off the night talking about possible million dollar ideas and patents, and Coral and I played the "Princess Jewelry Game". During the game, Coral asked me, "When can I come over to your house and play with your children?" I had to explain to her that we didn't have children yet, which spawned the question of, "Well...when ARE you going to have a little baby in your tummy?". She didn't quite like the answer of "Not for a while! Probably not until you're seven years old at least." This was replied with, "Well..I'm 4 now...so that's not too far away!"

Yikes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment