Thursday, January 14, 2010

Classes, classes, classes!

Whoever had the idea to buy books for a class PRIOR to actually attending was WAY off base. I feel the need to explain that statement. So me, trying to be on top of things this semester signed up for my classes like a month ago. It was pretty much the day registration started. Go me for being prepared, right? About that...

Riley and I attended our first institute class together on Wednesday and had a fun time! Turns out a girl I knew in elementary school from Altara is in it with us! Here's hoping that we'll be able to stay in that class and not have to switch to a different one. The reason being, is I had a 4:30 class in President's Circle after institute. Riley was kind enough to drive me down so I could get a better idea of exactly where the building was. We had an hour break between when institute got out and the next class started, so we spent some time driving around the neighborhood below the U and dreaming about purchasing a house there one day. Seriously people, some of those houses are SPECTACULAR. I would absolutely adore an older house in that neck of the woods. I'm sure they cost an arm and a leg...but that was a random tangent.

Anyways, he dropped me off at my car at the institute building just a few minutes before my class was supposed to start. I jumped in and decided I'd just pay to park somewhere at a meter for the day, since I didn't have enough time to walk. The class was scheduled to be for three hours, and of course you can only pay for up to two hours at the meter. Worst idea ever. So I set an alarm on my phone that would go off after two hours, reminding me to feed the meter. I did so begrudgingly, muttering bad things about the campus parking police under my breath. I've been bitter with them ever since my first semester at the U. No I am NOT going to pay hundreds of dollars for a parking pass. I'm lazy, but not THAT lazy. Plus I'm already paying an extremely large amount for tuition. Trying to dip into my little pockets a bit more? I dont THINK so!!

I found the class after much wandering around in the Avery building, and sat through about the first 20 minutes before realizing that I had no vested interest in the subject. I flipped open my laptop to hurry and see what other class I could squeeze myself into around the same time slot. I ended up finding a class that started at 6, but was up at the Bountiful location. I dropped the class I was in, and signed myself up for the Philosophy class. But then, the challenge of physically getting myself out of that classroom presented itself. I couldn't sit there through the whole duration because I'd probably implode of boredom, PLUS I had to book it to get up to Bountiful by six. So I made up some random excuse to the professor, and excused myself in front of a stadium seating classroom FULL of students. Awkward....but it was worth it, because my philosophy class will be SO much better. Much smaller class size, and the professor is like 27 tops. So that's pretty legit.

Point of this post? Never buy books for a class before attending. Because now I'm stuck with four books I don't need, and I'm out like 150 bucks! I threw a couple ads for them up on KSL, so here's to hoping someone possesses an interest to take that terrible, three hour long, RANDOM class.

As a sidenote, I had an interview scheduled for yesterday at a dental office, but I chose to decline the offer because my friend Cody brought up a very good point. Who the freak wants to listen to terrible dentist office music all day? I think it's in a class very similar to elevator music. Plus it wasn't going to work with my schedule. Good news though, I have another interview tomorrow at a place up in Farmington. I live in Farmington and commute to Salt Lake. Then I move to N. Salt Lake and possibly commute to Farmington? I dunno...we'll see if I end up taking the interview/job. I still love my current job, and if I can't find something that'll work with my schedule now I'm just going to stay where I am. I'm keeping my fingers crossed in hopes of finding other part time work, but I'm not in a huge rush. If the right position comes along, I'm sure it'll work out someway!

No comments:

Post a Comment