Monday, January 23, 2012

January Book Club-Aspire



For the past few months, I, along with a few of my co-workers have been holding a book club. Which has in turn really helped me with my resolution mentioned in the last post to "read more books". We've taken turns picking out books that we feel would be good reads and then holding a monthly meeting to discuss them. Last month we read the Hunger Games which I had read previously, but it was good to freshen up a bit on those (sidenote: Super excited for the movie to come out soon!!)

For January we selected the book "Aspire" by Kevin Hall. It was a book one of my co-workers had read in the past and said she enjoys reading it several times a year. I was a bit hesitant when I first heard about it thinking that it would be just another "self-help" book. However, I was pleasantly surprised. It's a great and really quick reaad and I would definitely recommend it.

You know how there are some specific times in your life when you think, "Wow, I really needed that today". Whether it be a phone call from a friend, or whatever the case may be. Well the other day for me it was this book. So while I will still really encourage anyone to read this book for themselves, I wanted to jot down a handful of my favorite quotes.

"Become a victor, not a victim."

"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

"Being a leader means finding a path, but before you can help someone else find their path, you must know yours."

"Genius is nothing more or less than being genuine."

"The words stress, overloaded, and breakdown were not originally meant to describe humans. They were meant to describe machines."

"Everyone has his own specific vocation or mission in life, everyone must carry out a concrete assignment that demands fulfillment. Therein he cannot be replaced, nor can his life be repeated."

"Once I see it, I will be it and do it. And in due course, I will have it."

"To teach is to show. You can't teach what you don't know. You can't guide where you don't go. And you can't grow what you don't sow."

And my favorite quote from the entire book, "Life isn't practice, it's the real thing."

No comments:

Post a Comment